Monday, April 7, 2014

Idaho ROCKS!

'Ello loves!

First off, I must make mention of the exquisite sunsets that take place here in Caldwell. I've been missing the big ol' Texas skies that I love so dearly & being able to witness such beauty is very comforting to me because God knows exactly what I needed this week. A good sunset always calms me down. But really, Idaho is absolutely beautiful. I see the mountains in the distance everywhere I go. There are trees EVERYWHERE. Guys....the grass is actually green and not artificial....whoa! Idaho is stunning.
Well, I just passed one month as a mission five days ago! I'm starting to get into the swing of things. I'm getting more and more comfortable talking to people and teaching. I still have learning and growing to do seeing as I am still a greenie, but hey everyone says they can't tell I've been out for only a month. Now, I can't seem to discern if they're just saying that to be nice. It may be the same as, "She has such a sweet spirit," with an underlying meaning of "She ain't pretty." Take it how you want it? But anyways, I'm halfway through my first transfer in the field!
How is Tejas? Mom told me about the ice storm...yikes! That's Texas for ya. If there's one thing I DON'T miss about the Lonestar state, it's its bipolarness/bipolarity/whatever the right term is. Mission brain has already taken over. Sorry 'bout it...Idaho has had a mix of sunshine and rain this past week. On Thursday, it was raining off and on ALL day. The rain would literally come out of nowhere! And I forgot my umbrella while we were out contacting members....oh well!
I absolutely LOVE my district. Elders Hatefi, Reischman, Ngatuvai, and Stradling are just awesome and downright hilarious. I guess Sister Ketring is cool too...just kidding, she's UH-MAY-ZING. We are all really close. Sister Ketring and I are constantly giving these Elders rides and doing things for them because we just love them. They're like the brothers I never had....oh wait....KIDDING!
We have named our district #District6. It is in no way related to that of The Hunger Games trilogy. Speaking of which, I saw Catching Fire on the shelves at Walmart and about died. I had to turn around and walk away before I went crazy. But hey, it's quite alright! It'll be way, WAY discounted when I get home. Now back to my district and missionary life and what we do for fun. We have decided that we will allow pranks. Oh yes. Sister Ketring and I were sitting at McD's (I hate it even more now because we are there ALL the TIME #brokeuntilnextmonthbutnotreally) & we saw Elders Stadling and Ngatuvai riding their bikes across the road. We took a picture of each individual then proceeded to Walmart to print copies. For three days, we got our stalking fix. It was great. We'd tape pictures to their door, send the picture to them with the return address "I C U" and made a sign that read, "Have you seen me because I see you!" We pinned the actions taken on the Zone Leaders, or as we like to call them, the Zone Lords. But we finally called it. Last night, we had to give Stradling and Ngatuvai a ride to Mission Prep so we taped each of their pictures to the back of our headrests. This. Is. What. Missionaries. Do. For. Fun. Don't even worry about it.
Basically, this week has been such a struggle. It's been a struggle because mission brain has become dominant over my own brain. It's like someone parked the Strug Bus (short for struggle bus), I got on and now we're traveling down an ENDLESS road called U B STRUGGLIN. I rest my case.
However, many good things have come out of this week. For example: our companionship got a hold of The Idaho Boise Mission Dictionary & The Idaho Nampa Mission Dictionary. Yes, these exist and they have been revised over the years. They are HIGH-larious. I'll share one a week. The word this week is Car Czar: The office Elder who coordinates all things having to do with the INM vehicles. On occasion, will relate going over miles to the Atonement unless you are a bike Elder in which he will remind you that you have unlimited mileage.
Now, on a serious note, we taught lessons to our two investigators and Kenny G, the less active man we've been teaching. On Friday, we met with Naomi. I think I forgot to mention her in my last email--sorry! Naomi is an older woman who lives with her son, Bruce (oh hey!). Brice is less active, but about 9 months ago, he gave his mom a Book of Mormon but no one followed up with her! She was a bit hesitant to let us in the first time we knocked on her door but she did and we got to know her a little bit and she is one awesome lady. We saw her again and taught her about the Restoration. We invited her to read the scriptures because she didn't follow through with her commitment to do so the first time we met. She responded to the invitation with, "Well...I've been thinking," and immediately my mind goes 'oh crap.' But she continued by saying she wants to and will read the Book of Mormon every morning when she wakes up!
Following the lesson with Naomi, we went over to Dakota's to teach him about the Plan of Salvation. Sister Ketring asked him what his thoughts were about our first parents leaving the Garden of Eden. His initial response was, "Adam really screwed up." Following that remark, we discussed why it was good for Adam and Eve to leave and how it was, in fact, a part of Heavenly Father's plan for us. We read with him in 2 Nephi 2 about the fall and why it was essential. We talked about how Satan was really just played at his own game when he got Eve to partake of the fruit and then Adam. Every time we would read and stop to see if Dakota has any questions, he would say, "I did but this just answered it." It was just an awesome lesson! The scriptures answer all questions.
Now, Kenny G wants to receive the priesthood. He wants to go to the temple. He wants his patriarchal blessing. He's been trying to get his life in closer harmony with Christ's teachings. On Saturday when we met, he asked us to talk about the commandments. So we did and we invited him to live all of them included the Word of Wisdom and the Law of Chastity. He said, "I'll try." Normally I would be completely fine with that phrase because it's good. However, he needs to DO it. He needs to tell himself that he WILL keep the commandments. That way, he will have a greater motivation to do so. Next time we meet, I will bring up 1 Nephi 3:7. "I will go and DO the things which the Lord hath commanded....." 
We all need to be like Nephi. We need to go and do what we need to do. We need to endure. Enduring to the End is a HUGE principle of the gospel. It doesn't stop at faith in Jesus Christ and His atonement, repentence, baptism, and receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost. What good are those things if we won't ENDURE?
Be obedient. Choose the right. You will be blessed for it. The Lord is BOUND when we do what He says! We have his PROMISE as long as we keep our lives in harmony with His gospel. 
I love you all! Have a FAN-tastic week! Don't be afraid to open your mouths!
Until next week,
Sister Tyler

0 comments:

Post a Comment